WCF Data Services Feature Suggestions

Support Containment / Hierarchical Models in OData

If I have a schema that has Orders and OrderDetails, I dont want /OrderDetails to be direclty accessible. I only want it to be readable through its parent: /Orders(1)/OrderDetails. Basically what was discussed on the astoria blog a while ago:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2007/12/21/design-notes-uri-containment-in-astoria.aspx

161 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike FlaskoMike Flasko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Mark StaffordAdminMark Stafford (PM, DataFx) responded  · 

Good news: this is another thing that we felt was really important to take to the OData v4 protocol committee. This feature will be available in the near future as we finish work on our v4 stack.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark StaffordAdminMark Stafford (PM, DataFx) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Petr - The core libraries (ODataLib and down) will have support for containment in the next couple of months. Web API will take advantage of that support probably in 1Q 2014. I'm not sure about the schedule for WCF Data Services explicitly, though.

• Petr KolonicnyPetr Kolonicny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you be more specific about what the near future means in terms of containment support in WCF Data Services?

Feedback and Knowledge Base