WCF Data Services Feature Suggestions

Don't abandon WCF Data Services

Dear OData team, I am requesting that you reconsider this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/odatateam/archive/2014/03/27/future-direction-of-wcf-data-services.aspx

Web API is not a drop in replacement for WCF Data Services.

263 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam CavinessAdam Caviness shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mauro Dalla ZuannaMauro Dalla Zuanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As claimed in different sources WebApi should be a smaller and simpler subset of wcf for making services. Don't understand why they should have priority

• Yannic StaudtYannic Staudt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like the others here, I (and my company) would really welcome further support of WCF Data Services, or at least an adequate replacement not requiring huge amount of rework in more complex situations (model first EF design, 100+ Tables).

Plus being stuck with a quite old EF release is starting to get annoying performance wise.

• Adam CavinessAdam Caviness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Michael Pizzo, Is there any update to your team's consideration? As you may know, many teams are dependent on the former flagship implementation and Web API OData support doesn't yet offer a valid IEdmModel strategy to share between our database first strategy and an ODataConventionModelBuilder (try it yourself, former workarounds no longer work). Also, the Web API OData implementation doesn't yet offer transactional database updates! https://aspnetwebstack.codeplex.com/workitem/2011 I sincerely thank you for any update.

• WayneWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance we can get an official word on whether Data Services will continue to be supported? Currently it is broken when used with Entity Framework 6 with regard to (at least) complex types not being able to be serialized.

• Juliano GonçalvesJuliano Gonçalves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't agree more.

Being unable to update EF is already a burden, I can't imagine the problems later on when more features are added and bugs are fixed on EF and we just can't update it because WCF Data is stuck.

• Michael PizzoMichael Pizzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback Adam. We will definitely consider this as we prioritize work between enhancing WCF Data Services and providing better support for new features in the WebAPI OData libraries.

Feedback and Knowledge Base