[Closed] Entity Framework Core Feature Suggestions

This web site is planned to be retired on July 31, 2019, and it is no longer being monitored by the EF team at Microsoft.

We have decided to unify our feedback process to focus on our existing issue trackers at GitHub.com. We are not planning to migrate the list of ideas posted here, because some of these ideas and votes were submitted a long time ago and therefore the number of votes likely does not accurately reflect the current priority for customers.

You are welcome to re-submit your favorite ideas to our issue trackers. We only request that you first search for existing issues and try to avoid creating duplicates.

Please visit the EF Core issue tracker or the EF6 issue tracker depending on what product you want to report bugs, make contributions, or submit ideas for.

Note that our team will only fix bugs, implement small improvements and accept community contributions on the EF6 codebase. Larger feature work and innovation will happen only on EF Core.

If you want to learn how to use our products, visit our documentation pages.

If you have technical questions or need help, consider asking in Stack Overflow using the EF Core or EF6 tags.

Note that roadmap questions, bug reports, feature requests or ideas are not appropriate for Stack Overflow. Visit Stack Overflow’s help center for guidance on appropriate usage.

Search for existing suggestions

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Better support for Self-Tracking Entities

The current implementation of self-tracking entities is error-prone especially when combined with disconnected scenarios, such as, when using WCF services. The reconciliation process with the ObjectStateManager is convoluted and makes it easy to trip up when saving larger aggregates with Self-Tracking Entities. I would like to see more effort put in to improve the Self-Tracking Entities template and to improve how EF and Self-Tracking Entities interact.

186 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Closing to reflect the fact that we are not planning to pursue any development of self-tracking entities in either EF6 or EF Core.

Moving forward this UserVoice site is about voting for ideas/feature request for EF Core and feature request or issues in EF6 should be reported directly in https://github.com/aspnet/entityframework6/issues/.

We can pursue other approaches for dealing with disconencted entities, e.g. EF Core has TrackGraph and we may choose to implement a Merge method.

2. Generate database update script for Model First

I am creating a Database with the Model First SQL Script Generation. Then later when I need to Update the Model I don't want to delete all tables and content, I want to generate an update Script.

Its possible in EF4 with an Tool:
    http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/df3541c3-d833-4b65-b942-989e7ec74c87/

but in EF5 there is atm no possibility to update the Model with "Model first".

Idea: perhaps try to include the SQL-Schema Comparer in EF.

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Designer support for editing store model

The EF designer only allows you to edit the model, not the store. This means the EF designer only contains 50% of the functionality required to actually do model-first development. Without being able to add tables, views, stored procedures, and constraints there is nothing to map your entity properties to.

The only alternative way is to "Update model from database...", but it forces you to create entities for the tables you import, when all you really want is for you tables to be listed in your store and available to be mapped to. Furthermore, if a table in the DB…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is specific to EF6 designer functionality and we won’t be tracking those any more here. Issues and ideas for EF6 can be created in the EF6 github repo but beware that this would be a very expensive feature and the EF team is not planning to work on features of this size for EF6 moving forward.

4. 41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Designer support for data annotations

As I found in CSDL format description there is a possibility to extend model by Annotations.
    I know annotations with unique identities for every metadata entity (and property) can solve renaming problem without drop and recreating entities (or properties).
    For example: in custom ddl provider (wanted ability to write it) could write this identities in extended properties (Sql Server) or in comments table (Oracle). Then, during upgrade it will be easy to found things that was renamed, deleted or added. Of course if providers upgrade method will have both models in signature.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. WAQS

Adopt the WAQS framework into EF source code

WAQS framework is a layer of abstraction over the Entity Framework

WAQS is addressing many of the painful scenarios under EF, with a great design and productivity.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuc1jb_waqs-application-scaffolding_tech

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Closing as we don’t plan to integrate WAQS into EF. Projects that adopt WAQS to extend EF functionality don’t need to be integrated into EF. We rather want to make sure that the extensibility story is good so that many more projects can do this and also incorporates specific features that are important for a wider set of customers into EF.

7. Ship symbols (pdb) for EntityFramework 6.X

How painful that I can't step into the EF souce code to debug an issue I'm seeing.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is something we have spent many hours attempting but but symbolsource would not accept our package. We would try something else if something else works.

Also, the following canned message applies to this item:

Closing this as it is specific to EF6 and EF6 designer and we are now only tracking EF Core ideas here. If this is important to you, create an issue at http://github.com/aspnet/entityframework6/issues/new, but keep in mind that moving forward, our team will only fix bugs, implement small improvements and accept community contributions in the EF6 codebase.

8. Oracle code first support

I think Oracle is still a very much used DB even on .NET projects, EF should support code first on this product too

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

EF includes a provider model that allows database vendors and third parties to develop their own providers. The EF team works regularly with provider writers to augment the capabilities of their providers, e.g. to work for Code First.

There are already third party providers for Oracle with support for Code First, but they aren’t developed by the EF Team. We don’t have plans to work on our own provider for Oracle.

9. An ADOMD.NET Provider for EF, for retrieving multidimensional data from cubes over EF to POCOs

We are working on big BI projects for different customers and it would be great, if we could use only one technology to get the data (both multidimensional and relational) handling. It would be great to send mdx queries to a SSAS cube, retrieve the data and have a possibility to map the retrieved data for example over annotations to POCOs.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Having a real designer...

It should be great to have a designer which supports all mapping (so which allow us to realize TPC, Horizontal Entity Splitting).
    It should be great to have a designer that supports partial model views as I did (http://msmvps.com/blogs/matthieu/archive/2009/04/07/edm-designer-new-version.aspx, http://msmvps.com/blogs/matthieu/archive/2009/04/11/edm-designer-new-feature.aspx)
    It should be great to be able to see complex types on the designer and not only on Model Browser window as I did (http://msmvps.com/blogs/matthieu/archive/2009/01/07/edm-designer.aspx).
    It should be great to not lose all our ssdl changes when we update the model from db.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Entity Designer: Improve Model First to preserve user intent (aka support Migrations for EDMX)

The "Generate Database from Model" feature is referred to as Model First. There are functions in the power pack (http://bit.ly/8akJIs) to incrementally update my database from my model but it doesn't fully preserve user intent. For example, if I rename an Entity, I just want to rename the table, not drop the table and its data and add it again.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More constructors for providing connection string information to MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion

I'm obtaining my connection string through a non-default mechanism. When I Database.SetInitializer() to the MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion<,> class, I cannot specify a DBConnection, DBConnectionInfo, or connection string even though the DBMigrationsConfiguration has a TargetDatabase property. I would prefer to be able to pass a DBConnection into the initializer class (since I'm using the same method to instantiate my DbContext); however, I should at least be able to pass in a DBConnectionInfo so that I don't have to subclass or use servicelocation just to use my own connection string.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Edmx from dbproj

In a large enterprise environment we use vs2010 dbproj to maintain schema objects. The workflow to re-create after changes to schema requires us to deploy a db schema run edmgen2 and re-import all exiting functions and rebuild complex types. Provide a tool that reads dbschema to build edmx and retains functions and complex types if no changes in signatures

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. EdmGen.exe should support generating an edmx file from a connection string

EdmGen.exe should support generating an edmx file from a connection string.

In .net 3.5, EdmGen2.exe (http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/EdmGen2) was able to generate an edmx file from a connection string.

But for (EF) .net 4.0, we have lost this ability.

Thank you.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Since this idea was created, several things changed:
    - Oracle added support CROSS and OUTER APPLY
    - EF Core was created which doesn’t have the same translations as EF6 and previous versions.
    - We have become much more conservative about making changes to EF6’s query pipeline

Closing this idea since there doesn’t seem to be something worth pursuing anymore.

16. Add ability to include multiple edmx files in another edmx file

Allow to split single model to multiple edmx-files and use any subset of these files in any file of set.
    Sometimes most of entities of large model are linked but there is theoretical possibility to split them to several subsets to parallelize work in team.
    Single edmx file sometimes caused conflicts during merging changes produced by different developers of team. Multiple linked edmx-files could prevent conflicts.
    Existing Using element exists only in CSDL model and is not supported by designer.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide access to ModelBuilder for Database First

Our database structure is set up in such a way that all tables contain soft-deleted columns and most contain an owner account key column.

Both of these provide a level of filtering we would like to let Entity Framework take care of for us at a global level, instead of always writing "&& t.Deleted == false && t.Owner == LoggedInOwnerKey" on our linq join/where clauses.

This is currently possible with Code First, when you use the DbModelBuilder during the DbContext.OnModelCreating() but that method is not available when using EDMX strategy.

All we are doing with the DbModelBuilder is adding System.Data.Entity.ModelConfiguration.Conventions.IConventions…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Primary Key Update limitation

My team doesn't support EF because of its Primary Key Update limitation :'( ...
    If you don't want to compromise the integrity of the project with this requirement, why not have the workarounds you suggest already included in the framework?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Immutability of identity is one of the fundamental assumptions of EF and other O/RMs. We currently don’t have plans to remove it.

The recommended approach is to create a new object in which all other properties but they key are a copy of the properties in the original object.

19. Optional concurrency check in relationship or foreign key

From MSDN documentation (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee373856.aspx):

In a foreign key association, when you change the relationship, the state of a dependent object with an Unchanged state will change to Modified.

And ADO.NET Entities works like that.

It is very good behavior for Order - OrderLine relationship. But absolutely wrong behavior in Customer - Order relationship.

It would be very useful to specify the behavior of relationship, if dependent object should be marked as modified or not.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The current behavior is inherently by design: In FK associations the foreign key that represents the associations is structurally part of the dependent entity, therefore there is no way the association can be modified without modifying the dependent entity.

20. RecreateDatabaseIfModelChanges shouldn't drop database

RecreateDatabaseIfModelChanges shouldn't drop database (we often dont have permissions on server), but should drop tables and recreate them.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5

[Closed] Entity Framework Core Feature Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base