Search for existing suggestions

Partial-selection and auto-mapping for DTOs

I've read the post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2011/01/30/using-dbcontext-in-ef-feature-ctp5-part-5-working-with-property-values.aspx, it's beautiful, and I have some additional requests:

1) I should be able to decorate some properties in my DTOs so it can have a different name (or decorate them at runtime with type-description).
2) Should be able to select partial queries:
- Via property selectors (both typed and strings) via DTO initializers
- Via constructor of another class (in EF4 this is not allowed) I mean .Select(u=> new FatUnicorn(u.Id, u.CornLength));
- As per the previous example, should also be: context.Unicorns.Select<UnicornSummary> using the method of assigning matching property names or decorated with attributes as above, the type argument here obviously has to be limited with 'new()' it will automatically create a summary DTO signed with selected values from the original type - UnicornSummary contains only some of the fields from the original Unicorn
- A matching context.Unicorns.Select(typeof(UnicorSummary));

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shimmy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dwbanks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for partial entities for Insert, Update and delete operations

• shimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also should be able to select using a method, there should be a runtime-method cache when generating SQL syntax, so I should be able to use
    context.Unicorns.Select(u=>UnicornFactory.Create(u.Id, u.Myths)), the factory is supposed to return an unknown type based on the parameters.
    This has to be a two-parts query so the details of the SQL are extracted and sent to storage, then using the construction details.

Feedback and Knowledge Base