Search for existing suggestions

Updateable Views

I would like to see update-able views. This is available in Telerik ORM, and I have found it very helpful in situations where I initially assumed a grid would only need to display read only data, but was months later asked to allow editing.

There are other ways to do this of course, but they require recoding. This would make certain maintenance tasks easy.

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Monty Wild commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A quick google search revealed that a view can be made updateable by editing the .edmx xml, removing the "store:" prefix from the "store:Schema" property name, removing the entire store:Name property, and removing/commenting the entire <DefiningQuery> block in the relevant <EntitySet.> block.

However, if the model is updated, these changes are overwritten with their original settings.

A flag to indicate that an entity type's XML should not be overwritten on update would be simplest, but it would be best to allow developers to manually set the key fields and flag the view as read-write so that the object would always be configured correctly

Feedback and Knowledge Base