Entity Framework Core Feature Suggestions

Welcome! Use this web site to submit ideas and vote for what features you want to see in future versions of Entity Framework Core.

Our team will only fix bugs, implement small improvements and accept community contributions in the EF6 codebase. Larger feature work and innovation will happen only in the EF Core codebase. If you have ideas for improving EF6, we recommend you submit them on the EF6 GitHub site listed below.

Please also consider these other options before submitting anything to this site:

• If you want to learn how to use our products, visit our documentation pages.
  • If you want to report bugs, make contributions, or learn about our product roadmaps, visit our EF Core or EF6 project pages on GitHub.
  • If you have technical questions or need help, try StackOverflow’s EF Core or EF6 tags. Note that roadmap questions, bug reports, feature requests or ideas are not appropriate for StackOverflow. Visit StackOverflow’s help center for guidance on appropriate usage.

How can we improve Entity Framework Core?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to map any serializable object to XML, JSON or binary columns

For example a database table could have a [Settings] column of type xml. And a mapped entity type could have a property [Settings] of some serializable type. Then you will be able to read and write data into and from this [Settings] column with EF. Like this:

var user = db.Users.First(x => x.ID == 1);
    if (user.Settings == null)
    {
    user = new Settings();
    }
    user.Settings.ProductsPerPage = 20;
    db.SaveChanges();

37 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We intend to enable this scenario as part of value conversions in EF Core 2.1. It is not clear if there are going to be any conventions to enable serialization by default but it should be possible to enable this explicitly for a property in configuration.

• Add DbContext.Database.SqlQuery to Entity Framework Core

I can't always get the best performance for extremely specific queries queries in Entity Framework. Sometimes it is best to just write very specific SQL (Currently working on a CTE recursive query that I wouldn't even know how to begin getting into EF without hitting the DB multiple times). Having SqlQuery<T> available give me complete freedom and allows me to use EF in the same way as Micro ORMS like Dapper to map a specific DTO when it makes sense. I don't wan't to have to map a custom object to my context and use the FromSql implementation off of…

36 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support read-only mapping to tables without key

Allow mapping of database views without requiring the Key Attribute

When mapping entitis to Views, it´s common that no Key can be set, bescause the view does not provide it and you can´t map it. The idea is:

* Make it possible to map to Views (or tables) in a read only fashion that does not require the Key Attribute

10 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Encryption of Columns

Would be nice to be able to map encryption to a column. have a convention based or override using a
          function (Func<>).

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something that we believe will be supported with the work on value conversions that we are doing in EF Core 2.1. There won’t be conventions and the application will have to take care of selecting an encryption algorithm and doing any key management, but it should be able to configure properties to be perform encryption before sending the values to a database column and to decrypt on the way back.

• Add the ability to persist TimeSpan values (and others) as strings

The immediate need is to be able to map between TimeSpan values on the CLR side and their equivalent string representations on the database side.

Currently TimeSpan can only be mapped to the SQL time datatype, which does not make much sense since the time SQL type is meant for storing time-of-day while TimeSpan is meant to represent an arbitrary amount of time. Mapping between the two limits the TimeSpan to a 24 hours interval, which rarely makes sense.

In our current DAL we do this by persisting TimeSpan values as strings, calling TimeSpan.ToString() on the way down and TimeSpan.Parse()…

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create a convention to automatically convert null string properties on a model to empty strings

Create a convention to automatically convert null string properties on a model to empty strings

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)