Entity Framework Core Feature Suggestions

Welcome! Use this web site to submit ideas and vote for what features you want to see in future versions of Entity Framework Core.

Our team will only fix bugs, implement small improvements and accept community contributions in the EF6 codebase. Larger feature work and innovation will happen only in the EF Core codebase. If you have ideas for improving EF6, we recommend you submit them on the EF6 GitHub site listed below.

Please also consider these other options before submitting anything to this site:

• If you want to learn how to use our products, visit our documentation pages.
  • If you want to report bugs, make contributions, or learn about our product roadmaps, visit our EF Core or EF6 project pages on GitHub.
  • If you have technical questions or need help, try StackOverflow’s EF Core or EF6 tags, or visit our MSDN forums. Note that roadmap questions, bug reports, feature requests or ideas are not appropriate for StackOverflow. Visit StackOverflow’s help center for guidance on appropriate usage.

How can we improve Entity Framework Core?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add DbContext.Database.SqlQuery to Entity Framework Core

I can't always get the best performance for extremely specific queries queries in Entity Framework. Sometimes it is best to just write very specific SQL (Currently working on a CTE recursive query that I wouldn't even know how to begin getting into EF without hitting the DB multiple times). Having SqlQuery<T> available give me complete freedom and allows me to use EF in the same way as Micro ORMS like Dapper to map a specific DTO when it makes sense. I don't wan't to have to map a custom object to my context and use the FromSql implementation off of…

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Custom type mapping and type conversion support

Currently the only conversion available in EF Core libraries 4.5 and EF 5.0 are enums mapped to integers but that is only tip of the iceberg. There is whole big feature behind - simple type mapping or conversions defined directly in mapping.

For example what if my database contains char column with Y, N values and I want to map it to bool property directly without any additional stuff doing the conversion inside my entity? Or more complex example - what if my column contains value like en-us and I want to map it to instance of CultureInfo? There are…

3,347 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        73 comments  ·  mapping & modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Don't see your idea?

Entity Framework Core Feature Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base