How can we improve Entity Framework Core?

Entity Framework support for Windows Store apps

System.Data.dll -- which is fundamental to EF -- is not available inside Windows Store Apps. Thus development of Windows Store apps is two steps back of where WPF and Silverlight development have been.

57 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Russell EubanksRussell Eubanks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cheche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having EF support for Windows Store apps would be HUGE for me as an app developer. I have several apps that require a complex (although not terribly large) data model. For example, I have one app that lets you create stop-frame movies. There are lots of bits of information about the frames, the animations, the sources of video and audio content, etc. that I need to keep track of. I would love to be able to read and store that data in small chunks as needed. Without a built-in database I'm stuck with reading it all from a huge flat-file and trying to juggle it in memory. SQL-Lite has been a major pain to work with from C#. I really wish I had access to the EF that I know and love.

• SergioSergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to write LINQ queries against a local relational database with full Entity Framework support will help us to reuse large amount of code for applications that run the same bussiness logic on desktop and on mobile devices.

• danvanderboomdanvanderboom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to write LINQ queries on Windows Phone against OData sources is sorely needed! Also the ability to write LINQ queries against a local relational database with full Entity Framework support, custom EF providers, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base