[Closed] WCF Data Services Feature Suggestions

This web site is planned to be retired in July 31, 2019. This web site is no longer being monitored by the Microsoft OData team. Visit http://odata.github.io/odata.net/ for current information on the Microsoft OData Stack for .NET and where to submit feedback.

Welcome to the WCF Data Services feature suggestion list. Find out more information about Data Services at our MSDN page.

If you have questions, need help or find a bug in Data Services, visit our forums.

How can we improve WCF Data Services?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Support Enums as Property Types on Entities

have a type on the server that is defined by an Enum with a restricted set of values, I want to be able to expose that through my model and through my data service

1,081 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Mark Stafford responded

Good news: this is coming – and not just on entity types but on complex types as well. Enums are part of the OData v4 protocol. In fact, it was one of the things we argued vociferously for precisely because of the number of votes on this issue.

2. Support Type Inheritance in Complex Types

Type inheritance is a "must have" if you want to facilitate the adoption of OData on current object oriented frameworks.

As V3 will fully support Entity Type inheritance, why not extending it also for complex types, as the CSDL Format spec already states?

251 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news: this is another thing that we felt was really important to take to the OData v4 protocol committee. This feature will be available in the near future as we finish work on our v4 stack.

3. Support Containment / Hierarchical Models in OData

If I have a schema that has Orders and OrderDetails, I dont want /OrderDetails to be direclty accessible. I only want it to be readable through its parent: /Orders(1)/OrderDetails. Basically what was discussed on the astoria blog a while ago:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2007/12/21/design-notes-uri-containment-in-astoria.aspx

164 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news: this is another thing that we felt was really important to take to the OData v4 protocol committee. This feature will be available in the near future as we finish work on our v4 stack.

4. 118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of the OData v4 client library, we plan to modify our code generation from using CodeDom to a T4 template. Best case scenario, in the same time frame we will make that T4 template publicly available and anyone can modify it to their heart’s content. Worst case scenario, we will make the T4 template public as soon as we can.

5. Filtering by value from naviagtion properties

Filtering by value from naviagtion properties.

Persons?$filter = Age eq 30 and /Children.Age > 5

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This will be possible in v4 of the OData protocol (although the syntax looks a little different).

[Closed] WCF Data Services Feature Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base